A quad core processor is nothing but a chip which comes with four different units, which are known as Cores. These cores are capable of reading and executing the instructions which are being generated by the Central Processing Unit.
Every single core, which are located within the chip, operates in tandem and keeping synchronized with different other circuits; like the memory management, cache, I/O or Input Output Ports. Every single core of a quad core processor is capable of running multiple different instructions simultaneously; which helps to increase the overall speed of the system and also facilitates the process of parallel processing. The cores are integrated into one, single semi conductor wafer, or into multiple different wafers within one, single IC package.
There is a misconception, that a quad-core processor can make a system twice as fast compared to dual-core processor and four times faster than single core ones. However, it doesn’t work that way! The output and the results depend on various factors like the type of program which is being executed, RAM, work space available and others.
What make Quad-Core Processors Special?
There are multiple different reasons as to why the quad-core processors have gained so much of popularity. Here are some of the benefits of using these processors.
- Increased Multitasking: If you are looking for multi tasking capabilities; in that case, a quad core processor would just be the perfect option for you. These processors have the strength and power to execute multiple different programs at the same time.
- Efficient Performance: The fact that it makes a system run more fast and can execute programs and applications quickly, makes it very effective for achieving efficient performance. These processors also consume lesser amount of power compared to the dual core processing units. However, they take much longer time to cool down.
- Faster Load Times: Those web pages which take longer time to load, would be loaded up at a much faster speed than before. The fact that modern browsers like Mozilla or Google Chrome allows multi threading operations; make these processors very useful.
- Ideal for Graphic Designing and Editing: Those who are into professional graphic designing and editing work; can benefit a lot by using these processors. They offer very fast processing speed, which helps to ensure that the processing time is much lower, and work can be done in a more smoother and effective manner.
- File Compression: When it comes to compressing the files; these processors can be of great help due to their fast processing power.
Apart from these, there are various other benefits that have made quad-core processors special. New and advanced quad-core processors are being worked on, which would come with more speed and quicker cooling features.
Quad-Core processors are used in both computers as well as mobile devices. With the advanced versions in the pipeline; they are expected to yield more faster speed and facilitate even smoother operations. Quad-Core processors are believed to be the future of computing at all levels.